Whether you’re after a country walk, a cosy pub, or a sweet treat, this list has something for everyone. For instance, we’ve included ideas of where to eat, what to do with kids and the best local events.
Our pick of the best things in Kent to try this Autumn
UPDATED FOR 2020
1. Autumn activities for families
- Visit Penshurst Place’s broomstick flying school for a fun trail and crafts.
- Pick your own pumpkins at a Kent farm, but remember to wear welly boots, as this can get muddy!
- Join the pumpkin festival at Riverhill Himalayan Gardens (Sevenoaks). This includes a pumpkin hunt, a cosy grotto and (BYO) pumpkin carving.
- Follow the nature play trail at beautiful Bedgebury National Pinetum and forest (Cranbrook).
2. Crisp Autumn walks
- Forage for sweet chestnuts and experience Autumn’s stunning colours in the Stour Valley Woodland.
- Explore the National Trust grounds in Kent and experience a rainbow of Autumn colours. At Chartwell House (Churchill’s childhood home), visitors are encouraged to collect windfall apples in the grounds, which are then made into apple juice.
- Stroll around Walmer castle grounds (Deal). This English Heritage property has 8 acres of gardens, which include a natural play trail with hollow tree trunks and wobbly bridges.
- Take a fun, self-guided city walk with a treasure hunt theme. Curious about Canterbury takes in the cathedral, city walls, Chaucer’s tales and much more.
3. Seasonal food and drink
- After a long walk kicking Autumn leaves, cosy up in a Kent pub with a roaring log fire. The Bricklayer’s Arms (Chipstead) is one of our favourites.
- Go for a ‘gin & steam‘ on the Spa Valley Railway. Taste 3 different gins and canapés on a return trip from Tunbridge Wells to Groombridge (over 18s only).
- Try a Harvest tour and cider tasting at Kentish Pip (Canterbury).
- Visit one of the top 20 cafes in Kent for a frothy hot chocolate or a spiced chai latte.
- The Fig cafe (Rye) is perfect for a cuppa and a slice of homemade carrot cake after a spot of early Christmas shopping in the independent vintage stores.
4. Firework displays
- Leeds Castle fireworks spectacular is the biggest fireworks dislay in the South East and includes a live DJ set.
- Kent Life fireworks spectacular features face-painting and glow-sticks.
- Quex Park firework ticket sales have been suspended, awaiting government guidance.
- Our local fireworks at Chislehurst Recreation Ground have been run by the Rotary Club for over 35 years and always go with a bang. Unfortunately the 2020 fireworks have been cancelled due to Covid restrictions, but you can book tickets for 2021.
More ideas for Autumn fun in Kent
- Things to do in and around Sevenoaks for Autumn & Halloween by the Incidental Parent
- Things to do In October by Muddy Stilettoes
- Roast chestnuts and a funfair at Rochester Christmas market, set in the grounds of the castle
- Visit Chatham Dockyard for a Call the Midwife location tour