If you’re researching the best Christmas things to do in Kent this year, you’ve come to the right place!
From pantomime and ice-skating to festive markets and Santa’s grotto, these local shows, events and outings should give you plenty of ideas to plan a magical Christmas for the whole family.
Our pick of the best Christmas things to do in Kent
Pantomime is almost impossible to describe (oh no it isn’t. oh yes it is)! To understand it you must experience it and it’s a very ‘British’ thing. If you’ve never seen one, I urge you to go, especially if you have young children (or a childish sense of humour).
Here are a few of our favourites.
- Aladdin at Churchill Theatre in Bromley with Christopher Biggins
- Mother Goose at The Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury with Dr Ranj
- Peter Pan at the Assembly Halls in Tunbridge Wells
- Aladdin at The Stag Theatre in Sevenoaks
- Beauty & The Beast at Woodville Halls in Gravesend
- Peter Pan at the E.M. Forster Theatre in Tonbridge
If there’s one thing guaranteed to get you in the Christmas mood, it’s a bit of festive makey-do, especially when accompanied by mince pies, a glass of bubbly and some festive tunes.
Why not try…
- Cracker workshops at Penshurst Place in Tonbridge
- Winter wreath making at Dreamland in Margate
- Christmas crafts at Gravesend Borough Market
- Christmas chocolate making workshops at Cocoa & Heart in Bexleyheath
Burn off the excess Christmas calories and get some fresh air with these fun festive activities.
- Take a frosty winter walk around a National Trust estate or park. Visiting the deer at Knole Park always seems especially Christmassy.
- Coolings Green & Pleasant nature trail for a child-friendly woodland walk at Knockholt
- Alice in a Christmas Wonderland themed interactive trail and illuminated gardens at Hever Castle
- Bedgebury National Pinetum Festival of Lights trail
- Ice skating in Calverly Grounds, Tonbridge Wells
Buying Christmas gifts will be a pleasure, rather than a chore with these local shopping experiences.
Fun with Father Christmas
Share the Christmas magic by taking your little ones to meet Santa in the run-up to the big day.
- Santa Specials on the Kent & East Sussex railway
- Ice skating and Santa’s grotto at Bluewater
- Spa Valley Railway Santa Specials
- Ruxley Manor near Sidcup for its award-winning Christmas grotto and amazing hot chocolate
- Polhill near Sevenoaks for a grotto, wreath making and a Cirque du Noel
- Father Christmas at Bodiam castle
- Older kids might prefer the North Pole Panic escape room at the Panic Rooms in Gravesend
Have fun and feel good by supporting these local charities and their events.
- Porchlight festive fun run near Deal
- Open Air Carols on Christmas Eve in aid of the Lord Mayor of Canterbury’s Gift Fund
- Stronger Kent Communities festive networking event in Ashford is free to all in the voluntary sector across Kent to share ideas and make new connections over complimentary nibbles and mulled wine
- Santa Cruise VW event in Whitstable. VW owners dress up their vehicles and bring gifts, toys and food parcels in aid of SNAAP and the Canterbury Food Bank
- HoHoHospice 5k Rumble run just outside Tonbridge
- Volunteer to help or donate to the Loaves & Fishes food bank in Sevenoaks
More ideas for Christmas things to do in Kent
Finally, if all this isn’t enough festive fun for you, take a look at these Kent blogs for more ideas and inspiration.
- Festive Experiences near Sevenoaks in 2019 from The Incidental Parent
- The Kent Panto Guide by Muddy Stilettoes
- Festive Fun from Day Out With The Kids
Are you in the Christmas spirit yet?
Want to read the six surprising secrets to sophisticated Christmas styling?