If you’re researching the best Christmas things to do in Kent this year, you’ve come to the right place!
*We have updated this post for Christmas 2021 with the latest information and links*
From pantomime and ice-skating to festive markets and Santa’s grotto, these local shows, events and outings should give you plenty of ideas to plan a magical Christmas for the whole family.
Our pick of the best Christmas things to do in Kent in 2021
Pantomime is almost impossible to describe (oh no it isn’t. oh yes it is)! To understand it you must experience it and it’s a very ‘British’ thing. If you’ve never seen one, I urge you to go, especially if you have young children (or a childish sense of humour).
Here are a few of our favourites.
- Sleeping Beauty at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley with Bonnie Langford & Lee Mead
- Jack and the Beanstalk at The Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury with Joanne Clifton and Duncan James
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the Assembly Halls in Tunbridge Wells with Shirley Ballas
- The Pirates of Treasure Island at The Stag Theatre in Sevenoaks
- Robin Hood at Woodville Halls in Gravesend
- Rapunzel at the E.M. Forster Theatre in Tonbridge
If there’s one thing guaranteed to get you in the Christmas mood, it’s a bit of festive makey-do, especially when accompanied by mince pies, a glass of bubbly and some festive tunes.
Why not try…
- Recyclable cracker workshop at St Julian’s in Sevenoaks
- Make your own wrapping paper at Hospice in the Weald
- Wreath-making workshops and kits by the Wild Gardener
- Chocolate making workshops at Temper Temper in Tunbridge Wells
- Christmas wreath-making workshops and kits by Flower and Grace
- Christmas craft boxes for children by Ottie & Eid
- Learn how to make an incredible Rudolph Christmas cake at the Busy Bee Bakery in Sevenoaks
Burn off the excess Christmas calories and get some fresh air with these fun festive activities.
- Take a frosty winter walk around a National Trust estate or park. Visiting the deer at Knole Park always seems especially Christmassy.
- Twilight Christmas at Hever Castle, with the castle, lake and gardens spectacularly illuminated. Take a walk under the stars in your wellies.
- The 12 Days of Christmas at Leeds Castle near Maidstone
- Bedgebury National Pinetum Festival of Lights trail
- Ice skating in Calverly Grounds, Tonbridge Wells
- Celebrate Castlemas at Tonbridge Castle
Buying Christmas gifts will be a pleasure, rather than a chore with these local shopping experiences.
Fun with Father Christmas
Share the Christmas magic by taking your little ones to meet Santa in the run-up to the big day.
- Santa Specials on the Kent & East Sussex railway.
- Polhill near Sevenoaks for a grotto and Christmas shop.
- Father Christmas at Bodiam castle, including a festive sleigh.
- Older kids might prefer the North Pole Panic escape room at the Panic Rooms in Gravesend
- The Enchanted Grotto at Coolings in Knockholt
- A magical Christmas show and party at The Little Cabin in Hildeborough
- Christmas Tidings with a special elf at Penshurst Place.
Christmas things to do in Kent for charity
Have fun and feel good by supporting these local charities and their events.
- Christmas Ball for the Kent MS therapy centre in Canterbury.
- Carols and Christmas readings at Canterbury cathedral in aid of Demelza hospice.
- Santa fun runs along the East Kent coast, raising money for Pilgrims hospices.
- Stitch a stocking for Hospice in the Weald.
- Hullabaloo Ball in Ashford for Kent Wish Foundation.
- Christmas party with Michael Buble experience at Herne Bay in aid of Strode Park Foundation.
- Volunteer to help or donate to the Loaves & Fishes food bank in Sevenoaks
More ideas for Christmas things to do in Kent
Finally, if all this isn’t enough festive fun for you, take a look at these Kent blogs for more ideas and inspiration.
- Steam hauled trains running between Christmas and new year on the Spa Valley Railway.
- The Flash-Packing family’s guide to Christmas events in Kent.
Are you in the Christmas spirit yet?
Want to read the six surprising secrets to sophisticated Christmas styling?