Tips, trends and inspiration for interiors
In this article, we’ll share lots of ideas for interiors and link to even more, but first, what exactly is interior design and what does an interior designer do?
What is interior design?
Interior design is essentially about how you experience a space. Or as Anna Ward of Furnished by Anna¹ says, it's about how a space makes you feel.
The New York School of Interior Design² describes it as 'a powerful, essential part of our daily lives and affects how we live, work, play, and even heal. Comfortable homes, functional workplaces, beautiful public spaces—that’s interior design at work.'
What does an interior designer do?
Interior designers work collaboratively with architects, engineers, contractors, suppliers, craftsmen and clients to create spaces that are aesthetically and emotionally appealing and at the same time meet the needs of those who use the space. They must carefully manage projects in order to meet deadlines and remain within budget.
Interior designers are educated professionals who have developed a broad set of skills and technical knowledge. Their skills and experience may include (but are not limited to) lighting and graphic design, decorative arts, architecture, textiles and materials, sustainability, colour theory and space planning.
Modern interior designers will also have a good working knowledge of structural requirements, building codes, safety regulations and software applications for CAD (computer aided design) and BIM (building information modelling).
Quotes about interior design:
Firstly, as someone interested in interior design, you might learn from and be inspired by these words from well-known interior designers and artists:
“I’ve always thought that design can have equal importance to the idea of internal architecture… I think design is all-encompassing.” – Zaha Hadid
“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” – Scott Adams
“The best rooms have something to say about the people who live in them.” – David Hicks
“Interior design is a business of trust.” – Venus Williams
“The details are not the details. They make the design.”- Charles Eames
“The essence of interior design will always be about people and how they live. It is about the realities of what makes for an attractive, civilized, meaningful environment, not about fashion or what’s in or what’s out. This is not an easy job.” – Albert Hadley
“All rooms ought to look as if they were lived in, and to have so to say, a friendly welcome ready for the incomer.”- William Morris
“For a house to be successful, the objects in it must communicate with one another, respond and balance one another.” – Andre Putman
Some design prompts for interiors, inspired by these quotes:
- Think holistically about the space that you are designing
- Allow your home to be a reflection of you
- Trust your instinct for design and work only with professionals that you trust
- Consider the design details of your interiors
- How can you make your space more functional, or work better for you and your partner/family?
- Is your space inviting?
- Does it feed your soul?
- Can you create a sense of balance using colour, texture, furniture and accessories?
- Enjoy experimenting with interior design.
- Don’t fret about making mistakes. You may discover something you love by happy accident!
Now that we’ve explored what interior design is and what interior designers do, next let’s explore some interior design ideas.
Interior (& garden) design tips
At Synsera Homes, we’re interested in how interior design can help transform the way you feel when you enter your home. Furthermore, a few small and inexpensive changes can make a big difference.
Take a look at these tips to transform your space:
- Interior design secrets from professionals
- Simple ways to improve your home
- What is a colour wheel and why is it helpful for interior design?
- How to make your home feel super cosy
- Create a stress-free sanctuary at home
- How to make your home feel more spacious
- How to use texture in interior design
- 5 Simple tips for a small garden you’ll love
- How to quickly and easily decorate for Autumn
- How to decorate for Halloween in a chic way
- 5 of the best bedroom ideas for children
Decluttering and organising your home not only improves your mental health by reducing stress and anxiety but also saves you time and gives you more energy. By removing items you no longer need from your space, you instead draw attention to objects and accessories that you’ve carefully curated for your space.
These articles will help you get organised and streamline your space:
- Declutter your home for a happier life
- Everything you need to know about clever kitchen organisation
- Declutter before moving house
- Conquer your crazy wardrobe clutter
- How to deep clean your home (part 1 – downstairs)
- How to deep clean your home (part 2 – upstairs)
Interior design trends
Design trends can be a great way to gain inspiration for your home. In a similar way to fashion trends, while you may not embrace the entire ‘runway’ look of a project, you might be inspired to include a new colour, fabric or theme in your interiors.
With this in mind, we regularly share interior design trends. Here are some of our favourites:
- All you need to know about 2021 interior design trends
- The most inspirational 2020 interior design trends for you
- Wellness and technology for a healthy home
- The remarkably easy way to decorate your home for new year
- Surprising secrets to sophisticated Christmas styling
- How nature can contribute to the best in interior design
- The best botanical interior ideas
Interior design inspiration
Of course, like fashion, inspiration can come from surprising sources. Ultimately, interior design is a reflection of your personality and is consequently, ever-evolving and developing. A keen interest in interiors can, therefore, become a lifelong passion.
In the following articles, we share some of the ideas that have inspired us recently.
- Chinese interior design inspiration that you will love
- Astonishing interior design ideas that will inspire romance
- 10 fabulous home fragrances for winter
- Spring decor ideas for your home
- How to get over your fear of a colourful home
- 8 awesome tips to arrange flowers at home like a pro
- Test your colour knowledge with this quiz
Learn more about interiors
The following links provide more information and education about aspects of interior design.
- The ultimate guide to colour theory
- 10 interior design rules you need to know
- MIT course on daylighting
- Our ‘Homes & Interiors’ Pinterest board
More about Synsera Homes
Finally, as well as interiors, we are passionate about property development and what’s going on in Kent and South East London. If you are also interested in these, you might want to explore our other posts.
Here are a few of our favourites…
- What does a property developer do?
- What is my land worth to a developer?
- Top 10 things to do in Tonbridge
- Property investment for beginners
- Jargon-busting glossary of property investment terms
- What should you consider when investing in property?
- 20 wonderful things to do in Kent in spring
- 20 awesome things in Kent you need to try this autumn