If you’re researching the very best things to do in Greenwich this Christmas you’re in the right place!
*This post is NEW for Christmas 2021*
From carol singing and ice-skating to festive markets, ballet and a Christmas quiz, these local shows, events and outings will inspire you to plan a magical Christmas for the whole family.
And if you’re looking to move to Greenwich this Christmas, take a look at our brand new Davison Close development.
Our pick of the best things to do in Greenwich this Christmas
Christmas shows & pantos in Greenwich
First of all, let’s look at some of the fantastic live shows in the Greenwich area. Whether you have children who will love the excitement of a pantomime, or you’re looking for something more sophisticated (or even camp!), there are all kinds of fantastic Christmas shows in and around Greenwich this year.
- The Queen of Hearts at Greenwich Theatre is a traditional pantomime (Oh no it isn’t! Oh yes it is!)
- The Nutcracker at Blackheath Halls is a family-friendly ballet
- Michael Ball and Alfie Boe are at the O2 singing all your festive favourites
- The Grotteaux in nearby Woolwich is hosting drag, cabaret and circus acts from December to January
- A Christmas Carol at The Painted Hall in the Old Royal Naval College
- Luisa Omielan’s Snog Fest Christmas Weekender at the Fireworks Factory is a Christmas comedy night for singletons
- Join the Annual Royal Observatory Christmas lecture to hear about the latest research on ‘exoplanets’ (those outside our solar system)
Christmas Crafting & Creating
Secondly, if there’s anything guaranteed to get you in the festive mood, it’s a bit of Christmas crafting with a good friend.
Why not try one of these classes or workshops?
- Learn how to make felted baubles for your tree at Made in Greenwich
- Join a Christmas wreath workshop with Clare Oliver Floristry in nearby Blackheath
- Take a cookery class with Thermomix and find out how to cook delicious vegan and vegetarian Christmas dishes
- Learn about gilding and make your own gilded Christmas decoration at the Cutty Sark
- Try an online wreath-making class from the comfort of your own home
- Try crafts such as Christmas card and cloche making at Hobbycraft Greenwich and online
Outdoor things to do in Greenwich this Christmas
Next, let’s get out in the fresh air (and prevent your Christmas waistline from expanding too much!) with these fun festive activities.
- Enjoy open-air ice skaing with friends at Queen’s House
- Follow the sparkle in the park Christmas light trail around Maryon Park in nearby Charlton
- Wander around Blackheath Village Christmas lights (the switch-on date is Saturday 4th December)
- Take a Christmas day London sightseeing cruise on the river Thames
- Explore the illuminations in the grounds and gardens at nearby Eltham Palace
- Join the lantern parade and Christmas light switch-on around Cutty Sark Gardens and into Greenwich market on the 17th November 2021
- Find out the Christmas light switch-on dates for other markets in the borough here
- Stroll around the Globoscope in Woolwich’s General Gordon Square and grap a selfie amongst this illuminated installation
You will likely also want to support local by Christmas shopping in and around Greenwich this year.
Things to do for charity in Greenwich this Christmas
And why not have fun and feel good by supporting these local charities and their events?
- Donate to or volunteer at Lewisham Food Bank
- Book tickets to the carol concert at the Old Royal Naval College in aid of Greenwich and Bexley community hospice
- Volunteer at Crisis at Christmas across London
- Join in the Salvation Army Christmas present appeal at your local centre (Lewisham)
More ideas for things to do in Greenwich this Christmas
If all this isn’t enough festive fun for you, here are few more ideas and suggestions to inspire you…
- Visit Greenwich Picture House for classic Christmas movies such as Home Alone and It’s A Wonderful Life, plus a dog-friendly screening of The Muppet Christmas Carol
- Pop into The Old Brewery for their Christmas Quiz, or join them on Christmas Jumper Day in your most festive attire
- Try some Christmas sushi by Sticks n Sushi
So, are you in the Christmas spirit yet..?
Finally, if you’re looking for a luxury family home in the Greenwich area, just 15 minutes from the High Street and Greenwich Park, be sure to take a look at our stunning Davison Close development. Click here to find out more.